Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Could I *BE* More Embarrassed?!

I'm going to let you all into a little part of my world that I usually try to desperately hide from the general public. However, something happened to me recently which I just can not keep inside for fear that I may burst: so I must share.

First and foremost, let me explain that ever since I met two of my best girlfriends, we'll call them Leah and Ra-Ra (that is actually one of her nicknames), I have been known as Phoebe: yes insinuating that I remind them of the Friends character. It actually all started when the three of us lived together on the East Side of Milwaukee ("hippie capitol of the world") in a old, worn out townhouse originally built sometime in the early 1900's. Over the course of time, we took notice of Leah's tendency toward being completely anal retentive about not just cleanliness, but rather everything, just like Monica, and Ra-Ra's affinity for all things fashion related, reminding us of Rachel. Apparently, the girls in an attempt at being funny, decided that I, then, just naturally fell into the position of Phoebe for a few reasons: A. I sing (Disclaimer: In an attempt to salvage my reputation as an musician/artist, I would like to say that I sing *nothing* like her. Thank You.) B. Apparently, being that I'm a professional facial contortionist, I'm incredibly animated and have taken on many facial expressions, characteristics, and even phrases similar to that of Phoebe. But most importantly, C. The strangest things always seem to happen to me: just like they do to Phoebe.

Allow me to cite an example:

Just the other day, I had the office to myself: which actually isn't all that uncommon considering that the owner is rarely here during my workday (he comes in during the early morning and late afternoon hours), and my coworker leaves at 3:15 every afternoon to pick up her grand-daughter from school. So, what does one do when she has the office to herself? Whatever she wants! So let me preface this by sharing with you that all stinkin' day I had been struggling with the shirt that I was wearing. It was too big (but my favorite, no less) and so I had it pinned in the back to keep it from looking ridiculous. Well, the pin had bent somehow and kept popping open, so I had my co-worker adjust it for me a couple of times.

Well, after she had left, I noticed that the last time she adjusted for me, she placed the pin in such a way that it was showing, and well, we can't have that! So, seeing that I had the office to myself and all (it was the end of the day and I had to head straight to school from work - can't be crooked at school!), I whipped off my shirt (yes, I did have a shirt on underneath: a teeny tiny little black tank top which by itself - NOT PROFESSIONAL WORK ATTIRE) and got to work on readjusting my pin: on the desk which sits directly outside the door of my boss's office. Smart. Now, before I go any further, I would like to ponder with you a moment on WHY I would not have found it easier just to go to the bathroom and do this. I'll never know. Was I just too lazy? Was it the adrenaline rush of the possibility of being caught? What posesses me to put myself on the line like this, I'll never know.

And then it happens: The front door opens.

"Helloooooooo!" Ohmygoshohmygoodness the big boss man is here what am I going to do WHATAMIGOINGTODO?!?!?! So I duck behind one of the cubicle partition dealies, and desperately try to throw my shirt on over my teeny tiny little black tank top: THE STINKIN' SHIRT WAS PINNED TOGETHER: FRONT TO BACK. Oh.my.Lord.help.Me. I think even God Himself was up there with his arms crossed, shaking His head, laughing at me all while watching the horrific events unfold.

So what's a girl to do in this particular situation? Hold the pinned shirt over her front and hope to God that while passing by boss man doesn't see me. Oh but... HE DOES!

Boss Man: *laughing* "What are you DOING? This is not a dressing room!"

Me: *Holding my shirt in front of myself looking insanly guilty* "Um... um... well you see... um..."

Boss Man: *laughing harder*

Me: "Oh come on, I'm wearing a tank top! I just needed to readjust my... *sigh* nevermind..." (nice save PHEOBE)


Seriously. Seriously.... I promise you... the wierdest stuff happens to me all the time: and I'm pretty sure it's all my fault for the majority. So there you go. A peek into the strange, twisted, comical side of my world. Don't you wish you were me?

21 Comments:

Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Steph you are pretty cute. You may have just scored a promotion.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Big smiles. BIG smiles. Thank you for sharing Steph. That story was hilarious. And no, I'm not laughing AT you....

11:58 AM  
Blogger taryn said...

Stephanie, your story was hilarious and it made me laugh. I could just visualize the whole experience... don't worry, you're not the only person who has embarassing stories to tell. I do every day- I am convinced that I should have been a blonde. Most of my friends have some pretty sad stories to tell about me. But nothing THIS entertaining! Good story.

:-)

Y

12:17 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hahahahahahaha, Oh Stephanie I think I am you (or at least we are living very similar lives separated only by a few states).

That was CLASSIC.

I have way too many stories along the same line, one of which I will share with you: One of the teachers at our school is a good friend of mine (more like a big sister) she is taller than me (go figure) and we always mess with each other. Well during in-service one day she decided to tackle me and try to wrestle me to the ground (now I am not a violent person by nature but i can hold my own in a chick fight) so I decided to put her in her place. So I quickly wrestled her to the ground (in my work attire of skirt, hose, and heels no less) and proceeded to sit on her to make a final point. At that EXACT moment both my elementary principal and school administrator decided to walk in the door. There is NO WAY to recover from that.

So I feel your pain (in fact that was one of the tamer stories I have).

12:43 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

KATIE!!!! Ahahahahaha!!! That's great!

I can just picture it... oh my goodness gracious, I know we've both said it a thousand times, but... We would do damage if we lived anywhere NEAR each other. lol!!!

BWH: Don't I wish! lol

Amstaff: I totally don't believe you. You are SO laughing AT me. Which is alright: I've laughed AT me, Leah laughed so hard AT me that she started crying, Ra-Ra will laugh... you get the drift. You're not alone.

Taryn: Yeah, my friends always joke about my "blonde roots" (no offense K-T to you and your ridiculously shiny blonde hair! ;). Hence the Phoebe reference! :) I'd love to hear your stories sometime!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

This is the first post I have read of yours... crazy funny.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yay! Ben visited me! Love it! Thanks for stopping by!

I just LOVE that everyone gets such enjoyment out of my misfortune... ;)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Steph -- you're too much. That story was HUH-LARIOUS! The mental image is priceless!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Well...ummm...at least your boss laughed eh?

3:49 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Luke: I know... don't you just cringe inside? Well, I do! lol SOOOO Phoebe-esque that it's rather frightning, really.

Amber: Oh come on Amber: you have a THOUSAND stories that could top this one... ie: falling in the fireplace? *ahem!*
Glad you like it :)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok Stephanie I had a YOU moment this morning. After getting dressed for the day I was sitting on my couch watching Katie and Matt (Today show) and I realized i needed to leave. So I stood up and started to walk out the door. I then realized that I had in fact not finished getting dressed and was about to leave my house in my skirt and a very inappropriate camisole (I had forgotten to put on my cardigan). Luckily I noticed that I was a bit more chilly then I had anticipated and upon looking down realized what I was missing. And then I laughed because it made me think of you.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

lol! Katie, Katie, Katie. Have we not learned from my mistakes? You can't get away with wearing JUST the inappropriate camisole to work. I'm glad you came to your senses ;)

ammbker - Okay, now word verification is beckoning Amber. Amber! You're being paged!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Whistle Britches said...

I came here from Luke's blog. I have to disagree that you are Phoebe-esque. Your writing shows you to be much more intelligent than Phoebe.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Whistle Britches said...

After a second reading I think I agree. You are Phoebe. For Halloween wear a blonde wig and let the picture match the actions.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

OH K-T, that would have been so bad if you had continued on to school like that. Oh my goodness!

A cardigan? Isn't it still warm outside?

11:21 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

cop: "pullover!"
Harry: "No, it's a Cardigan, but thanks for noticing!"

I LOVE that part. :)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

ummm.. what is that from?

1:52 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

:) Dumb & Dumber

3:49 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh.My.Gosh. I haven't seen that movie in a really looooooong time. Not sure that I would revisit it either lol

3:53 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Stephanie... I saw your request on Shenna's blog for a template... I would be happy to make one for you if you would like... feel free to email me at benandsydney@gmail.com and let me know your interests... or a theme that you would like... I won't be able to get at it until Sunday or Monday night... but if you are willing to be patient, I would be willing to make a template for you. Let me know...

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home