Thursday, September 29, 2005

Boundaries, Take Two!

Just the other night, my roommate and I were out for dinner discussing boundaries and appropriateness in relationships (which obviously inspired yesterday's post). Today, she emailed me saying that she thought it funny that she should "just happen to come across this email" in light of our conversation the day before. In the words of Steve: "God Is Good" (sorry to have used your coined phrase. I hope you'll share just this once :) So, as an addition to yesterday's awesome discussion, I thought I'd share with you this devotional, so as to encourage all of you Christian singles in this area.


What Does It Mean To Live A "Victorious Christian Life"?

"You will be accepted if you respond in the right way. But if you refuse to respond correctly, then watch out! Sin is waiting to attack and destroy you, and you must subdue it."
Genesis 4:6 NLT

"But Daniel made up his mind not to defile himself by eating the food and wine given to them by the king. He asked the chief official for permission to eat other things instead.… God gave these four young men an unusual aptitude for learning the literature and science of the time. And God gave Daniel special ability in understanding the meanings of visions and dreams."
Daniel 1:8-17 NLT

Committed and Accountable Daniel, his friends, and many other young Hebrews had been carted off into captivity far from their culture, their temple, and their faith traditions. Suddenly exposed to the decadence of the king's table, most of them abandoned their commitment to purity and consumed the forbidden fare. But Daniel and his friends had already made a commitment to remain pure, and they had each other for accountability. We are more successful at resisting temptation when we have prepared for it. Determine ahead of time how you will respond in certain situations. And bolster your own resolve by sharing your commitment with another person or small accountability group. Doing so will prepare you to be used by God for his purposes.

Content is derived from God's Daily Promises


I'd like to thank you all again for your imput and all of the wonderful discussion yesterday on this topic. Have a blessed day everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Good wisdom there. It's a lot easier to walk into anything knowing what you will and will not do than to try and make up convictions on the spot.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

After studying Genesis 3 yesterday, there was alot of discussion on temptation. They were in the perfect environment and they were still tempted to sin. We should not be surprise that satan/sin is crouching at our door, waiting to consume us.

I'm so glad I found your blog Steph. This has been too cool.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie: yes, it is wise to lay out all of our convictions before we're faced with situations that will test our morals, faith and our strenth.

Amstaff: I'm so glad you found me too! I'm glad I found you back! These past few days have been quite the growth spurt for me spirtitually, and a large part is due to all of you and your feedback, wisdom, challenges, etc. This has been great. I look forward to many more edifying discussions!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Stephanie: Thanks for coming by my blog. I have agape's article up and am trying to find time to read it at work, but I'm not doing very well. I love your posts. Keep striving for Holiness!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Luke: Thanks! I'm sure you'll find that article to be a blessing to you - I know I did! (props on that one Katie, props sister!)

Thomas: That's great: "willing to work SOMEWHAT hard". Classic. So I should be expecting a flood of your wit and charm tomorrow afternoon?

2:44 PM  
Blogger steve said...

OK this is a topic I cant talk about and not feel like i am a sheep in a den of wolves...

Accountability is such SUCH a good thing. I have friends who I respect greatly. In fact they woudlnt be friends if I DIDNT respect them (so if I call you friend know that is because I think you are stellar)... anyways, as a man it is sometimes hard for "us" to hear where we are slipping or see where there is an opp to improve. We were born with the "i can do anything" syndrome. I have guys in my life that keep me in check. I have married couples that I talk to about relationships (or lack thereof)...

I guess I am just saying I agree that one of the hardest things for ANYONE to do is keep THEMSELVES accountable... you HAVE to have friends or strong faith. If you have no faith why do you NEED to be accountable to anything...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thanks again for opening up this topic. I sent your link to my newly single twin sister and she was VERY appreciative of your discussion. :-)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Jay- that's great that this discussion could be a blessing to her! It was just as much a blessing to me, as a sort of newly single gal myself! (Don't ask lol) Glad you popped in!

Steve: I hear you. But you know what? This wasn't just for women. Just as much for men- just over-run by women, which was fine. Blessed either way, and I've taken much from it, just as I hope everyone else has. This is a very important topic that needs to and should be discussed openly. I'm just glad everyone was as receptive as they are. And I'm also glad that you decided to participate: I almost wish you wouldn't have felt intimidated and would have shared more, but I understand your position, and at the same time hope you benefited from it as well.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home