Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Day 2 of the Jamaica 2006 Review!

Day Two:

What adjustments I've had to make! Life is SO different down here: we Americans take MANY things for granted in our lives - only day two and I'm saying that - YIKES!

But really: when I said yesterday that we had to "cozy up" our little abode, what I should have said was, "we had to rid cabinets of lizard poop, wipe EVERYTHING down, and settle in around our lovely walls adorned with dried up, mashed roach guts. Ahhh, Jamaica. :)

Don't get me wrong though, the place IS gorgeous, and the people are amazing: but when you have to chase three-inch grasshoppers and lizards around your house, well, let's just say one learns to quickly appreciate what they have back home.

Today was great, but exhausting. It was the first day of school for the semester for the kids, and our first day as teacher's aids (Cheryl and me). The kids of course, had to test thier boundaries with us as the new people, so that became a little exhausting having to discipline and chase children around all day long. (I said "exhausting" twice in two sentences - I AM tired!) But we really only had a half day today, as Cheryl and I spent the early afternoon with Mrs. Missionary to have an orientation time of sorts on the veranda at her house. The view from her house: simply BREATHTAKING!! You can see most of the mountain range, the city, AND the ocean from thier house - gorgeous! As we sat there, a storm system moved through, and it absolutely POURED! Tropical rains are heavy and fast - and beautiful too!

We took an hour break to get some R&R, and then headed down to help the kids with homework and hang out with them for awhile. We met with the missionaries briefly, and later went to the older girls' house for devotions.

My favorite thing above all else so far, is how God is just infused in EVERYTHING here! Prayers before school, prayers before breaks, prayers at EVERY meal: prayers at bedtime, along with devotions, services at LEAST twice a week, and prayer meetings. LOVE IT!! The cool thing is, that the kids love it too: they especially love worship - God really IS everywhere here!

Speaking of which, it's time for me to read my Bible before I get too tired to even keep my eyes open: it's only 8:30pm, and I'm already in bed - face washed, teeth brushed. Didn't I say I was EXHAUSTED?!

5 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I wish you had pictures with this, but your colorful descriptions make up for it! ;o)

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Exhausting, for SURE!!!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Can't wait to hear more.

By the way, I've tagged you. Check out my blog to see how.

Oh, AND, I AM going to see MercyMe! Our JV youth group is going, and I'm a leader. Yee-haw!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Day 3+?

12:01 PM  
Blogger DeeDee said...

Hey Stephanie! I hopped over from the CWO ring. Love your blog! Would love to know who designed it? I clicked on the site design ad, but just saw a lot of advertising. I sing...I need a cool design like this! So fun!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home