Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Spectacle That Is Me

For those of you who pop in daily to catch my usual deep, thought provoking musings (*rolling eyes at myself*), my appologies in advance! I know it's been awhile, however, the one thing that is stopping me from resuming my posting of said musings is the fact that I have to share yet another embarrassing moment that I have recently added to my list. After reluctantly telling my roomate the following story this morning, she decided that as of this day, my middle name is officially "Spectacle". How did she know? So, I thought this might be a source of amusement for all of you as well.

So I'm sitting in class last night, absorbing every last ounce of all things theological that I can, all while trying to fend off my friend S.; our resident intellectual/class clown (is there even such a combination?) with an affinity for messing with anyone within a ten foot radius of himself. Suddenly I feel an itch in my eye. So I begin to try and get out whatever helped itself in. Rub rub rub! At this point, S. is still messing, not quite realizing the drama that has begun. Well, as I'm attempting to get out whatever was in my eye, I apparently helped along the problem by rubbing a mascara-coated eyelash right ON to my eye: suddenly it felt as if my cornea was being torn apart! Owie owie owieeee!!!

Okay, so now I'm starting to panic. S. is starting to look at me a little funny, but at this point I don't much care. I'm hunkered down in my seat digging in my eyeball. How attractive am I?! lol Okay, this is not working, so I jump up from my seat, begin to scoot around S. to make a run for the door when suddenly I realize a little too late that the whole bottom half of my left leg is totally and completely NUMB. Up until this point, I could think of nothing else but the eyelash that was impeding my vision, so I really wasn't aware of much else: until I tried to walk. Just then, my ankle gives out, twists, and I don't just stumble once, but twice, half hitting the wall, half landing in S.'s lap: keep in mind, this is all during lecture! I start giggling, trying to whisper to my poor, startled friend that my leg is asleep and I really wasn't trying to sit in his lap... no really! My leg is asleep! No dice. He starts snickering, while giving me the most crooked look ever: as if he was saying with his eyes, "what.the.crap.is.wrong.with.you?!" So I sit down, head hung in shame, trying desperately not to entertain my now amused friend with so much as a look, and wait for my poor leg and damaged ankle to wake up a bit. After a few seconds, I get up and try and walk as elegantly as possible out the door to dig out the cursed eyelash that started this whole mess in the first place: All while everyone in the room stifled uproarious laughter (I'm sure).

You know, I tried to tell my mother a couple of weeks back that I really have outgrown my clumsiness, that it's a thing of the past, and that I'm really much more graceful these days. I'm beginning to think not. I'm beginning to think that that statement was just me subconciously begging for some ridiculous events to occur over a short period of time just to prove to myself and everyone around me that I'll never outgrow this character trait of mine... my middle name will always be "Spectacle". No matter what I do.

13 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Ok if it is at all possible to have a twin that is younger than you and looks very different from you than WE ARE RELATED.

Oh my word, I was laughing so hard at this story, not because I was laughing at you (ok maybe just a little) but more because I AM YOU or YOU ARE ME or WE ARE THE SAME PERSON.

I fell down twice, TWICE in public this weekend alone. TWICE. Oh my friend I feel your pain and I revel with you in our sad attempts to say we have "grown out" of our clumsiness.

The good thing is that after having episodes like this so often people like us (hahahahaha, people that fall down a lot is what I am saying there) have no shame in it and can laugh with the rest of them at our own misfortune.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

OH MY WORD Katie, I know. I know. I really was on a streak of gracefulness. I could actually carry myself with a decent amount of poise and dignity: and then it all went downhill. As if God didn't have enough people in this world to keep Him entertained: He decided to put me in these awful situations in an attempt to amuse Himself ;)

You know Katies (don't know why I spelled it like that!), you and I are frighteningly similar. I really wonder sometimes what it would be like in person. SCARY. lol just scary.

BTW: TOO STINKIN' FUNNY about your falling down episodes last weekend. I mean really! Walking, walking... boom! Road pizza! What is up with us? hahahahaha!!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh Stephanie SCARY is not even the word. I think we would be so CRAZY together that people would just stop and stare.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hence the term.. "spectacle". Undoubtedly that is what we would be making of ourselves, that's for sure!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

It sure was a funny story. Sorry I could't be there to enjoy it! I have hard lenses, so the mascara-coated contact takes precedence over any other item in my life. youch! Something blew in my eye at the fair and I was running around like a pirate holding my hard lens and looking for the water fountain to rinse it off. Gotta hate that.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

That's HI-Larious!
Funny stuff!

I love these little "revealing" moments that people share. This is what makes it so fun when good friends start drinking together - these stories always come out.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Brad Huston said...

Isn't humility a virtue?

Brad

5:59 PM  
Blogger taryn said...

Stephanie, why do you always have such great stories? You have a talent at writing your little daily happenings with such captivation... I'm always drawn in and I can always just see the story playing out. Funny!

T

10:19 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

You are so funny!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

That is awesome. You totally win in the falling down stories category, I think Steph!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

LOL! LOVE it!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Thomas, I would guess her url either means "Ain't I 4 Him" or "Annie 4 Him". So instead of Steph, she's Annie??

What'dya think??

9:27 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Pretty much Shenna. For awhile, my nickname was Anie, derived from the last half of my name. (Kinda like how Topher Grace's full first name is Chris-Topher.)

So anyway... Me for God. That's what it means, Thomas.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home