Monday, January 02, 2006

Because I Promised a Long, LONG Time Ago...

So I remember telling you all (a few times) that I would post pictures of that fateful day back in the summer of 2004 when my surfboard decided to eat my face. That's right people: to start off the new year right, I bring you...

Surfing Debacle of 2004!


Starring: Me! And the waves that helped my board bite my face...



















I'm going to break you all in gradually, so for starters, you get to take a gander at this artistic rendition of Mount... something or other: can't quite remember the name offhand. But what I do know is this: it's 1600 feet tall... and I hiked it. I sure did! I made it all the way to the top without dying (remember: I was 40 pounds heavier at that point. Quite a success story people!) That was my first real feat of the vacation (well, that and coming face to face with a three inch long roach in Las Vegas, but that's a story for another time...) Moving ON!




















This is a view from the backside of the foothill that the house we were staying in (J.'s house) resided on. We were staying in La Mesa (if my memory serves me correctly), so this was the view if we took a 3 block walk around the "mountain" from J.'s house.



















This is me totally not ecstatic at all that I was on the beach at 6 in the morning: even though it would be my first time ever surfing. I'll have you know that Day 1 of surfing was a complete success... it was Day 2 that made this trip so darned memorable...






















That's right!!! My surboard tried to bite my face off: to no avail of course: just gouged me really well and drew some blood. Nothing that this girl can't handle! In all seriousness though, I totally don't blame myself in this scenario, only because I was not properly trained in the art of the "tuck and roll". In the event that a wave (much bigger than you) decides to break right on top of your head, a tip friends: if that ever happens... don't THROW your board in the other direction hoping for a miracle! The wave WILL pick it up and shoot it roughly 122 miles per hour back at your head. Trust me. I've been there. Do yourself a favor. Jump on the board and hang on for dear life. That way, you won't do any sort of permanant damage to yourself or others. Hopefully.


















So there were some nice drunken burnt-out surfer dudes (average age: 45) who happened to have a cooler full of beer and these handy-dandy freezy thingies on the beach at 7:30 in the morning, who were more than obliged to help a broken sister out in her time of need. This did just fine until a nice and handsome lifeguard came and whisked me away in his white pick-up truck (yes, it was just like Baywatch but with more clothes) to the first aid station where he proceeded to examine my eye and replace the handy-dandy freezy thingy with a more suitable ice pack.
























And this is me: proudly displaying my shiner, cuts, scrapes, and anti-bacterial ointment for all the world to see - in the San Diego airport. This will likely be the one.And.ONLY. time you will ever see me without makeup. Only because I am THAT proud of that shiner! But otherwise, yes, I am THAT high maintenance.


Well, I was going to post some more pics, but Blogger is insisting on making life difficult this evening, so I must leave you hanging for the dramatic conclusion of...



Surfing Debacle of 2004!!!



...Coming soon to a blog near you!

20 Comments:

Blogger David Edward said...

seeing you without makeup! and so early in our relationship... wow! I could post a picture of me without my surfboard, or me when my tan lines are fading, or me scraping ice without the handy ice scraper or gloves. Yes I am a bare handed ice scraper and snow shoveler kind of guy, who does not surf, yet!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Poor, poor Steph. But I love the pictures, and all the background story. And that you got whisked-away by a handsome lifeguard.

I'm ready for Part Deux!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

"In the event that a wave (much bigger than you) decides to break right on top of your head... The wave WILL pick it up and shoot it roughly 122 miles per hour back at your head. Trust me."

I've never been surfing in my life but I felt myself ducking out of the way when I read this. Yowzers.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

David: Bare hands!?! That's crazy! But then again, I'm a freezy-cat, so I can't do anything out in the frigid cold without 17 layers on!

Amstaff: Part Deux is more of a wrap-up, sans the horrible pictures of my mangled face hehe - More tranquil pictures of La Jolla shores where the cursed event took place. lol But yes, it was nice to have a cute lifeguard whisk me away: too bad I only had one good eye that I could admire him with! ;)

Green: I know! I couldn't believe how hard that sucker really hit my head! I'm kind of surprised that I didn't get knocked out. I'm LUCKY I didn't get knocked out, actually...

Logan: Oh no! haha! Do you have pictures? lol

11:20 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

one good eye to admire him with. HA HA HA!

1:25 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

At least nothing bit your feet off.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

BWH: You can say THAT again! Well, I did have a 500 pound seal swim right underneath my board and I think I felt my heart stop for a second: someone next to me must have seen the color drain from my face because I heard them shout in my general direction, "Hey! Don't worry! It's just a seal!" Seriously, forget sky-diving: ocean sports are where the real adventures are!

1:41 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Hey what kind of catch comment do you want on my blogroll.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You're going to make me think?!

Um, I don't know! What do people generally say on those things?

1:52 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Surfer Chick?

You know this is a hover comment.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh poor stephanie, I remember laughing when you told me this story because all I could think was "uhhh isn't there a rope attached to your foot and to the board so wouldn't it eventually come back to you?" and then I thought that I would probably do the same thing and have a matching shiner to go with yours.

Funny story, and glad that you survived to tell it.

2:03 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Just go look. Hover the arrow over Miss Stephanie without clicking.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

BWH: What is THAT? I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff! It's amazing I managed to get this thing up and running in the first place!

Katie: Yes, the part I failed to mention was the rope attatched to my foot which made it so much more probable that the board would come straight back to me. But you're really not thinking too much about the technicalities when you're staring down the gullet of a monster 5 foot wave (Hey! It's a monster when you're already up to your shoulders!).

2:06 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Never mind. I'll just put a terrible insult there and you can figure it out later.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

BWH: Ooooohhhhhhhhh! Okay! I get it! hahahaha "She likes to surf." hahahaha Okay hmmm. I don't know: isn't that your job? lol Okay ummm... "Random musings from a random woman"? or... "Musings from the heart"... I don't know. Whatever you'd feel is best. I'm not good at that kind of stuff ;)

Could you maybe email me how to do that in HTML? I'd like to set that up on my blog!

2:11 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Of course it is my job. But, I got nothing.

2:13 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

I don't know the code. Blogrolling does it for me.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Great story Steph. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to surf. I wouldn't mind giving sky diving a try though - I think...

And wow! you can really see how much weight you've lost now. Great job!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw Shenna thanks, girl!

I still intend to post before and after shots to give the full effect: but I might wait until I finally lose the rest!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Same here. How much more do you want to lose?

Can't wait for spring so I can get outside to exercise again!!

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home