Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Support Group For The Overly-Dramatic, Unreasonably Obsessive, Compulsive Worriers

They should create one of those. Don't you think? And no, by "they" I don't mean Katie (you have to go read that excerpt about her being the "they" that people always refer to. Hilarious. But seriously: who are "they", anyway?) Okay, okay, back to the original topic. Yesterday, Amber discussed her tendency to worry too much, which got me thinking about my obsessively worrysome self as well.

Why do we worry? If we have no control over future events, what's the sense in concerning ourselves with what "could be"? I was having dinner awhile back with some friends this past summer on the patio. It was a beautiful evening: it was warm and balmy, the stars were shining, and I was grilling and chatting with great friends. Guess what I wasn't doing. Enjoying myself. Why? Because I was too busy worrying! About what, you ask? Everything. I worry about everything - all the time. My friend D. and I got on this very issue because I just couldn't stop rattling off to her all of the awful things that I feared would happen to a friend of ours who had just gone to help with Katrina relief efforts. Now granted, she may be on the opposite end of the spectrum a bit, and she'll admit it: she might worry too little. However, she began sharing with me the very thing that I had mentioned earlier: why worry about things that you have no control over? You can't see into the future, you don't know for sure what will happen, so why. worry. Why get yourself all riled up over something that hasn't even happened yet?

Let's take this a bit further still and throw this question out there: why do we as Christians, feel the need to worry? Do we not rest in the Lord our God? But it's so easy to place our worries and fears at the foot of the cross, only to take it back again: all because we can't bear losing the control, right? Think about all the things that Satan give us to fear: illness, death!, famine, disease, terrorism, nuclear bombs. Some people even fear - fear! One Sunday not too long ago, my pastor preached on this very issue, and he had come across a list of phobias and thier definitions.

Did you know that you can have a fear of the mind? You can fear left handed people, men, flowers, the wind, and women? Did you know that you can fear bees, infinity, stars, and flutes? How about new things, dead things, numbers, or... dryness? You can fear step-fathers, beautiful women, laughter, Germans, chins, and vegetables. People have also been known to fear being stared at, the figure 8, eyes, becoming bald, light, and being tickled by feathers. You can have a fear of French people, learning, sleep, parents-in-law, certain fabrics, and sitting down. You can also fear books, slime, body odor, and the boogeyman. Seriously. You can.

However, no matter what the fear: no matter how crazy, irrational, and unreasonable that fear may be, time and time again, God tells us in His Word that we are to fear not!

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love" (1 John 4:18).

Take comfort in Him, and know that His plans are greater:


"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future'"(Jer. 29:11).
I'm sure I've quoted that verse before, but I love the profundity of it. Really think about what that means. We should FEAR NOT!, for the Lord has it all worked out.


"...Do not fear; only believe, and she shall be well" (Luke 8:50)

"We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).


So you can take that fear of mirrors, money, constipation, clowns, or bicycles, and toss it out the window! Because our God is greater than any fear. He did not give us a spirit of fear but a sound mind, people! Our Lord promises us a sane, glorious future greater than anything we could provide for ourselves; all to further His Kingdom. Certainly we understand that as Christians it's not going to be all roses:

"But even if you do suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled" (1 Peter 3:14).

"Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life" (Revelation 2:10).


Even in in trials, suffering, and sacrifice, we need not fear, because we will be rewarded in heaven! And well, let's face it: isn't the fact that we get to spend the rest of eternity with Jesus enough reward in itself? I'm going to leave you with two more verses to chew on for today, because they speak to me in a very real way regarding this matter. God bless all of you, and have a great day everyone!

"Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved" (Psalm 55:22)

...and finally...

"Be still, and know that I am God"

(Psalm 46:10).


8 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Go stephanie go. AMEN.

And I would be one of the "they" to start that club because I do find myself fearing things, a bit too much for my comfort. It all comes down to where i put my faith, where I put my trust, where I put my hope. If it is in me or man then I have much to fear, but if it is in God, then what do I have to fear but Him (and fear in a reverent way).

L.O.V.E. the last verse. Mostly because God calls us to be still, to not be busy, to not do work or something to help Him along, but to be still and know that He alone is God, He alone is able, He alone is soverign, He alone is righteous, He alone is GOD.

11:35 AM  
Blogger taryn said...

Wow! Great post!

I, too, am a worrywart. But when we really stop and thinking about why we're worrying, it IS because we are refusing to give a situation fully to Christ in all trust... and lay down our human tendency to want to control every event.

I enjoyed your list of phobias... it's amazing what people can be scared of.

T

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one:

Matthew 6:27
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

A friend in college gave that to me on a 3x5 card. It worked.

I fear carnies ... small hands ... smell like cabbage!

~Jef

12:22 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie: "He alone is able, He alone is soverign, He alone is righteous, He alone is GOD." PREACH IT, sister!

Taryn: Oh girl, if you could only see... google "list of phobias" and you'd be AMAZED at the unending list of crazy wierd phobias - ACTUAL clinical phobias - that people can have!

Jeff: LOVE that verse! Can't believe I didn't think to use that one in this post!

I'm afraid of carnies and small hands too! Well, mainly because carnies smell like cabbage (TOTALLY KIDDING PEOPLE!), and I don't have small hands myself!

1:03 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Thank you for sharing that with me. My life has spun out of control (or, I should say, spun out of MY control) and it is tempting to worry myself into the ground. The Lord reigns supreme. He is in control!

(And thanks for giving examples of what not to worry about. Especially the constipation part, lol.)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

I have always struggled with control. It has been the hardest lesson that I still have not fully learned. thanks for the scriptures in your blog. they are a blessing.

Bill Scott, Sr.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

The last verse is one of my favorites.

And I have to tell you that I laughed when you said we needed a support group -- especially because the NAME of the groups is soooo funny! Love it!

5:08 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I think worry kicks in a little bit more as each year passes.

Or maybe it's just a different kind of worry.

Like, I remember worrying that I wouldn't make it to the comic book store in time to get the latest Superboy comic before they sold out.

And that was just yesterday... :)

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home