Friday, January 06, 2006

Update!

I don't even know how long it's been since I last talked about anything pertaining to my day to day life. I've taken you down memory lane, I've written you poems, I've talked about spiritual matters, but when was the last time I just babbled on about what's new in my life?

Yeah... I don't know either.

Okay, well, I'll start off with music stuff I guess. The band still sits in waiting. We're silently hanging out until the website gets up and running, and then I think once that's all set up, we'll get our butts moving and get out there to do some ministry gigs. We still have to get in the studio to record some solo stuff for each individual musician / singer, because the idea is, you can go onto the website, and in the bio section, click on a photo of each individual, and you will be able to hear them play or sing: should be pretty cool. I can't wait until it's done.

I'm going to be a wedding singer! Just what I've always dreamed of! hahaha Well, I've actually always thought that it would be cool to sing for money, whether or not I would ever really be considered a "professional" (although that would be way better hehe). So I've hooked up with the keyboardist from the band, and he and I are going to officially be "THE wedding duo". We were just out last night shopping for wedding music: getting this all together is so fun and exciting! (Seriously, it is!) So the plan is this: we're going to record a demo and create a marketing packet complete with a songlist, photo, cd, and business cards, which will then get handed out to as many churches and Mary Kay (Avon, L'Bri, etc...) ladies as we can find, so we can hopefully get some business for the 2006 wedding season. So while it will be a little expensive initially, the return of investment will be SO worth it, because from what I hear: singing for weddings is EASY money. So once I get my demo done (which should be in a week or two) I'll make sure to post a song so you can finally hear what I sound like.

*Disclaimer: I would just like to say that the songs on the demo will defnitely not be my preferred style of music. I'm a jazz/blues/R&B/gospel singer. Just keep that in mind when you listen to the demo.*

School's going to be starting up again soon, and I'm not quite sure I can take all the classes that I wanted to (we can't recieve financial aid quite yet like a normal university because we're so small), but even just a class or two would be good, because the main reason I'm going to Bible college anyway is for the edification - not quite sure yet if I want to be a pastor or not. Which leads me to my next point. I'm seriously thinking about going back to finish my bachelor's at a four-year. I really think I'm narrowing it down in terms of what I want to major in: I'm not going to share quite yet because I need to pray about it some more just to be sure. But I have the ball rolling in a certain area and I think I might roll with it so long as God doesn't squash the idea.

I really thought awhile ago that God was leading me to be a nurse. I mean, there were some very OBVIOUS clues which made me think that God was kind of shoving me in that particular direction (ie: six different people telling that I'd make a great nurse, as well as my step-mother randomly writing me an email (in response to one I sent to her about school) that said, "Yes Stephanie, you should go back to school and finish your bachelor's: You can get a degree in nursing and then go be a missionary!" (I never told her I was thinking about becomming a nurse. It was really odd.) But then... over the past year or so, I just haven't been able to deny the overwhelming draw to a different interest of mine, not to mention, the mere fact that the idea of death creeps me out, AND blood tends to make me really anxious and nauseous... yeah. I don't know that I would make a good nurse.

What do you all think? Does that sound like God was telling me to be a nurse? Or is it possible that I was reading into it? How do YOU hear God? (Just had to get a little reader participation in there for good measure.)

On a completely unrelated note, I have a weekend jam-packed with fun stuff ahead.
My Hawaiian homegirl is back home for a visit and is flying in tonight from Poland (her sister is studying abroad there, so she decided to spend the holidays with her - what a life, hey?), and we're going to likely get together at some point this weekend and do some serious catching up (can't wait can't wait!!!). I have M. & J.'s baby shower tomorrow morning, then a voice lesson, a visit with the grandparent's, and then service at my mom's new church. Sunday night I'm singing on worship team, and I'm sure there will be lots of other fun things to stuff in between there. hahaha

Well, I'm off to get some work done.

Have a blessed weekend everyone
!

11 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

WHEN is this website going to be ready? Because we, the blog community is ready to hear those vocal cords of yours sing!

Meanwhile, do we get a Castpost or something? You and Jubal can do a sing-off

10:37 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah I don't know when that website will be up and running. I'll see our lead singer guy on Sunday (he leads worship at our church) and I'll ask him then.

Oh my goodness gracious how stinkin' funny would that be for Steve and I do to a sing-off?!?! I'd LOVE it! hahaha

10:51 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Don't go knocking being a wedding singer. I know guys who make great money doing nothing but weddings. What's your band like?

11:54 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hmmmm, might I know what this possible career pursuit will be? Have we talked about it? Hmmmm? How exciting, new adventures, new avenues, new challenges (listen to me, I'm freaking out about all my "new" and encouraging you in yours).

Can't wait to hear your singing voice, after hearing your speaking voice.

Good update.

Any convos with yourself lately?

2:55 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie: hahahahaha No conversations with myself YET, but I'll work on it after work today, okay? lol!

Ummm... not sure if we've covered my new career pursuit: maybe we'll have to talk about it tonight! hehehe

No freaking out, lady. None! It's EXCITING that God has something for you right around the corner! Yay!

Cube Rev: It's a gospel band: it's REALLY fun. My roommate and I are add-ins. These guys have been playing for 15 years together... they are phenomenal!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh yes, we must talk about it tonight.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Being a wedding singer is so cool. Congrats! My son has been trying to get a band going again. He and two of his buds had a band a few years ago, they were only 14-15 years old. But they got gigs (they played Christian punk, if you can imagine that), wrote their own stuff (they actually wrote pretty good lyrics). They made some tapes and sold them at shows. He runs into kids his age who ask him all the time when the Kamikazees are going to get back together.

I thought once that I wanted to be a nurse and started taking classes at a local community college. I started working at a nursing home. The very first day I was there, I had to clean up a dead body for the funeral home to come take it away. So much for being a nurse.

To answer your question of how I hear God, if I have been praying about something and He is responding to me in some way, I usually feel it in my gut (in a physical way, like a lump in my stomach).

4:57 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Can't wait to hear your voice!

Have a fun weekend catching up with your friend!

Don't forget your bible and your health!! LOL!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Crystal: Yeah I'm really not feeling much of a pull toward nursing anymore. Yuk! But you never know: God could use me in very interesting ways in the medical field without my ever having to touch or look at someone else's blood!

Interesting how you react to hearing God. I've heard many different ways people hear from Him: all very unique in thier own way.

Very cool about your son! Hopefully God will use that in mighty ways!

Shenna: Went grocery shopping yesterday and bought all "good for me stuff"! yay! Getting my gym membership on Wednesday! The ball is rolling sister!

Logan: Working on it friend :) I'll have something posted very very soon!

12:53 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Were you singing when you fell off the surfboard?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Probably! Sounded something like, "Ohhhhhhhhh Jesus SAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

hahaha

And by the way: I didn't fall off. I was "attacked"!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home