Friday, September 09, 2005

Who's Excited To Start School? ME!

I missed my first class. No, I'm not starting off my semester on the wrong foot. It was legal! Technically, my first class would have been Monday, September 5th- Labor Day. However, on account of that technicality, my class would be behind schedule if we didn't catch up, so we recieved our first homework assignment with our orientation packet.

At first glance, it was slightly daunting:

+ Read 15pg. handout
+ pgs. 7-29 in Knowing the Doctrines of the Bible
+ pgs. 61-115 in Systematic Theology
+ Read 1Tim. 3:14-4:16; Heb. 1:1; 2Tim. 3:14-17; 2Pet. 1:21, 3:15-16
+ From your reading, write a 1 page summary on inerrancy and inspiration.

What??? I haven't been to school in 2 years. I LOVE school, learning, and the whole intellectual thing, but really... WHAT??? Okay, let's break this down here. A. Who ever reads over 100 pages for thier first homework assignment- for one class? B. What the crap does inerrancy mean anyway?! (upon further investigation, we find that the Webster definition of "inerrancy is as follows:
***
in·er·ran·cy
Pronunciation: (")i-'ner-&n(t)-sEFunction: noun: exemption from error : INFALLIBILITY, the question of biblical inerrancy

***


Um, okay. The muck has thinned out a bit, but it's definitely not crystal. Oh yeah, and C: I just got my books yesterday, and this all needs to be done by Monday, on top of my day-long practicum tomorrow (school-turned medical clinic for the homeless and underpriveledged... it's a ministry thing at my college), so when is one supposed to complete said assignment?

So, let's back up the boat a sec to yesterday after work when I stop by my friend's house (who happens to work at my school) to pick up my books. I get back in the car, peek inside the plastic bag which holds a tiny piece of my future inside (yes, I get THIS excited about school), and then I see it: Systematic Theology. GLOOOOOOO-RY! "Systematic Theology?!?!!!", I shout in my head, "This is the Greatest Day Ever!!!" (Only slightly dramatic here, but I was genuinely excited about this.) Keep in mind for those of you who think I'm on the brink of really losing it here, I'm just starting bible college this semester, so this is all very new to me, and very exciting not only because I'll be learning new things (which is always a bonus for me), but I'll also be furthering my relationship with God by digging into his word big time. So I'm a bit pumped, what can I say? So despite the fact that I have a crap-load of reading to do in a really really short amount of time, the fact that I'm going "back to school! back to school!" makes it all worth while.


So, considering that I could go on, and on, and on forever about school, and learning, and God, and all that jazz, I think I'm going to go start studying and stop rambling. Better usage of my time.

8 Comments:

Blogger Onebigpiston said...

Girl you alright, and quite pretty.

8:57 PM  
Blogger steve said...

issues Steph... issues

11:38 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

And you're surprised by this Steve? Just remember the old saying: Something about "birds of a feather..."? I doubt you'd be hanging around otherwise ;)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I see your 100 pages of reading and "inerrancy" and raise you this:
• Read Hopkins Chapters 1-4 (pages 1-54).
• Read Long & Burton Introduction and Chapters 1-2 (pages 1-75). .
• Read ABA Guidebook Introduction and Chapters 1 -3.
• Identify and read the sections of the Colorado Nonprofit Code that pertain to Officer and Director Duties, Indemnification, and Liability.
• Identify and read the sections of the Colorado Nonprofit Code that pertain to Formation, Articles of Incorporation, and Bylaws
That was to be done prior to my first class in "Legal Issues for Non-profits."

However, I congratulate you on your new school year -- so glad you're excited!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Stink, my comment didn't go through. Take two.

Stephanie, found you via Steve's site. Can I just say that I am SUPER jealous that you are taking classes at bible college (seminiary?).

Trust me when I say that I would be just as excited as you were to look through all my new books (yes I am a self confessed nerd).

Good luck and make sure you share all the great stuff you'll be learning.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thomas, didn't you get my last email? I was thinking you were giving me the cold shoulder: I'm wrong apparently?

Amber: Now I don't feel so bad! lol But one slight problem: Still haven't finished reading, and class is in, well... 6 hours. And I'm at work. Boo.

Katie: SO glad you stopped by! I always see you on his site, but have yet to cruise on over and say hi! I am starting bible college, although not seminary. It's run through the Assemblies of God church, and accredited through North Central University.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

*sigh!* My inbox has been empty for days now, and I have been waiting with bated breath for your response, Thomas... (Two can play this game ;)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't have it anymore- I didn't save it. It was just a response to the last one you sent me. I can conjure up my best rendition if you'd like. It will have to be tonight though, as I have some serious cramming to do in the next 3 hours.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home