Friday, September 23, 2005

What I NOW Know...

"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me." - Psalm 138:7

Did you ever get the feeling that when your life is a complete disaster area, you know absolutely nothing? But then when the dust settles, and you finally get a chance to step out of said disaster, stand at ground zero and really evaluate the aftermath, you realize that you've come out of it SO much more knowledgable, wiser, and a little more guarded than you were before? This parallels with the old saying, "if only I knew then, what I know now". And how annoying is that?! Because seriously? What IF I knew then what I know now? Of course I would have probably not felt as much pain, anxiety, and even depression as I did in mid-turmoil, but would I have learned anything from it?

God doesn't let us face trials and troubles so our hearts can be heavy with grief and sorrow. He wants us to learn from our pain so he can lift us up out of the muck to a higher place of wisdom, knowledge, and right relationship with Him: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4) This really gives true meaning to the verse 1 Thes 5:16-18 which says: "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus". Even in times of trials folks, we are to be giving thanks.

In the earlier times of our walk, it's harder to fully grasp this concept, because we don't quite come to the full understanding that "...in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according according to His purpose." (Rom 8:28) When I first started my walk with Christ, I used to joke and ask, "so when my dog dies, am I suppoed to say, "thanks... God... for letting my dog die... cause I'm...learning... something?...from this... I think?" Well... kind of. I had the "learning something" part down. But it's what we learn that is so crucial. It's what we're praying for in the midst of our trials which determines what place we'll be in when we come out the other end. If we're praying for wisdom, knowledge, peace of mind we'll get it. It says this in 1 Peter 5:6-7,10: "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." "And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." So what this tells me is that even during my storms, if I cast my cares at His feet, give thanks in all things, and be in constant prayer, I will see victory in Christ Jesus? What a promise!


Over this past summer, I have endured what I have deemed to be "my festival of change". Emotionally, I was knocked down, beaten, and knocked down again, and eventually found myself in a place of complete and total misery. I could barely sleep I was such a wreck. Finally, I found myself standing at ground zero surveying the damage, and could not believe what I was seeing. And then it hit me: "I actually let all of this happen to me..."I thought to myself, "How did I ever let my life get this out of control?!" This is when God gently spoke to me and said, "Because you didn't have your eyes fixed on me. You weren't looking to me for your strength, you were looking to others." Nooooooo kidding.

From that point on it has been an uphill climb (mountain, hill, whatever) , and over a short period of time, I can't even begin to tell you how much growth and change I've seen within my own life. The lessons I have learned, the wisdom I have recieved, the strenth and knowledge I have gained, as well as my surmounting love for my Father, are all a result of having submitted myself and my life to God while enduring my trials. God IS as faithful as he promises to be. My victories and the victories of millions of others are solid proof of that.

9 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Speak it sister. I've been there, and sometimes I think I'm still there.

Your wisdom and honesty are encouraging.

Thanks for sharing your "story". I'm on the uphill climb with you.

Beautiful words, beautiful heart, beautiful girl.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I hear that. In all of my job woes, my mom keeps reminding me that God has a plan and that it will be awesome if I only have faith and follow his timeline. DIFFICULT. But I know that's the truth, and sometimes it helps to be remminded. I'll see you on the uphill climb, my friend!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie: Thanks for the encouragement; you don't know how badly I needed to hear that! It's also good to know that people are "climbing" right alongside you.

Amber: Your mom is right: If you stay focused on Him, your desires will be realized - in His time. While that may not be fast enough for us, His perfect plan is in progress. He's working things out for your maximum benefit- and perhaps the benefit of others along the way.

11:42 AM  
Blogger steve said...

sweet.

just sweet

11:51 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Great verses, great post! James 1:2-5 is one of my absolute favorite passages.

Did I mention this was a great post?

Have a great weekend!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You're ALIVE!!! Glad to hear you're not swimming, Thomas!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I am... I mean, yes, Milwaukee probably would be more fun :)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

good stuff girl!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Not at all, Thomas. :)

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home