Wednesday, September 14, 2005

It Had To Be You

I'm starting to think that I'm a huge dreamer. Okay, okay, if I were being completely honest with myself, I'd say that this isn't some sort of divine revelation that just came over me, rather that I've always been a huge dreamer. But if we don't dream big, we'd be a rather boring bunch, don't you think? (Trust me, this will go somewhere shortly- but let me take off on a tangent for just one moment to set you up for the rest of the story...)

For quite some time now, I've been a pretty big fan of jazz. So, I had taken up listening to "smooth jazz", aka: elevator music, until a friend revealed to me that she thought it strange that I listened to it all the time, considering she always felt like she was "on hold" while in the car with me. Funny girl. So then she and my other friend in the car decided that I must be "on hold" quite often throughout the day because I listen to it so much. Even funnier. So, while still a "closet" smooth jazz fan (only because they play a ton of Anita Baker, and I love that woman), I've switched to the "real" jazz station, WYMX 88.9 in Milwaukee, which actually airs the good, old-school smoky-jazz-club kind of jazz.

So! While listening to my new favorite station yesterday at work, they started playing a super-jazzy, instrumental version of It Had To Be You. LOOOOOVE that song, simply because it's a great song, but also because it's featured in one of my favorite movies of all time, When Harry Met Sally, which brings me to the whole point of my rant for the day.

There's a scene at the end of the movie, where Sally is out at this fancy-pants New Year's Eve ball with some date that she really doesn't want to be there with, along with her best friend and the best friend's husband. (I think the whole world knows this movie, so I'm not quite sure why I'm explaining, but anyway...) So circumstantially, this situation isn't the greatest for Sally until the very end of the movie, but at this point, I'm not much caring about the perils of Sally's love life. I'm diggin' the party. Have you every paid attention to the party?

There is some seriously good jazz playing in the background, everyone is dressed to the nines, and people are just dancin' away, sipping thier foo-foo drinks, laughing, and just generally having a grand old time! Now here's where the dreamer part of me comes in... I want to go to that party!!! I don't think it's a lot to ask, do you?

Every year around this time, I prep myself by watching the movie (torture myself may be a bit more like it), with hopes that I'll meet the man of my dreams between now and New Year's Eve who will be thoughtful enough, and insightful enough (or maybe just inquisitive enough to get out of me that this is a dream of mine) and whisk me away on that fateful evening for a night of music, dinner, and dancing. And you know, maybe part of it is the whole getting dressed up for a "fancy" night out thing. I recently read somewhere that women in thier twenties still find it fun and exciting to get dressed up to go out. Whatever. I'll still find it fun and exciting when I'm 92. "Come on, Grandpa, let's hit the town!"

So anyway, that's been my fantasy ever since I was a teenager and had seen When Harry Met Sally for the first time. I want the fancy New Year's Eve party, the fancy dress, and the fancy music- and the fancy guy (she does gets him at the end by the way, for the one person in this world who hasn't seen the movie)! But seriously folks, this year, since I am not getting any younger, I am taking applications for "Man of My Dreams". You can apply online, or fax it in, but get it in soon! Call 1-800-BE-MY-HERO for more details! Space is limited, so call today!

Heh. If only it were that easy...

17 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

the number doesnt work

1:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey I want in on that action. Can you set up a whole call center? I'll man the phones for a few hours.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I am with Steve, the numero no trabajo.

In 2002-03 New Year I went to a SMASHING formal party in North Carolina. It was at a rented Mansion that was really old and there wasn't any furniture, it just had tall ceilings and hardwood floors. Lots of candles everywhere and platinum colored balloons. I wore my best black suit and a platinum and black tie. I love to dance and I danced and danced all night with a myriad of girls who seemed uninhibited and fun. Most of the people were between the ages of 26 and 34 and everything was perfect! I have never been to a party quite like it in Texas. Most of the parties I go to here the people are too uptight to dance and just let there hair down - these people were getting crazy! The party cost like 50 bucks to get in, but it was worth way more than that. It was a great night.

And come to Texas and I will show you a fancy night on the town.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah, I bet you'll "man the phones for a few hours" Katie, or should I say, "potential date stealer"? hmm??? lol No, I don't mind sharing the potentials. After all, can't keep them all for myself! One problem though: the number doesn't work, apparently. Crap. Don't worry guys, I'm calling the phone company right now!

2:24 PM  
Blogger steve said...

so good you had to say it twice?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Darn, Stephanie you saw through my attempt at service for the sake of finding my own hero. Oh well if you get that number fixed let me know and I'll take a few shifts off your hands.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Technical difficulties, smarty-pants! But yes, if you must know, everything I say is so good that it's worth reading twice! ;)

Katie, I have no problem sharing the wealth! We'll just have a "Katie filter" in the system.. grab the ones you think would suit you best, and pass the rest along to me!

Wow, we really could have a lucrative service happen here! I'm sure there are plenty of other girls who'd like to get in on the action lol

2:31 PM  
Blogger steve said...

as a man I dont know if I liked being called "Action"...

2:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ha ha you came up with the idea so you of course should get first dibs on all phone calls. I'm happy taking second seat.

To put a plug in for my friend Eddie, the boy CAN DANCE. So if you are looking for a good time with dancing, dinner, and laughter HE is the man to call.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

laughing at Steve's comment

2:37 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh Steve, I'm so sorry. Would you rather be called "manly date potential #42708"? I don't see that as being much better. Bachelor #1? Okay, we're going to have to figure out a better system here.

Katie- thanks for first dibs ;)

2:48 PM  
Blogger steve said...

#42708????

oh.no.i.am.not

boycotting for the rest of the day!



(on a humorous note my Verification "word" is "Biginz"... CLASSIC! shouldnt this be eddies?)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

OF COURSE you overlook the "Bachelor #1" part! That's huge Steve!

Boycott if you must, but that will definitely be noted on your application...

As a side note, you're right. #42708 you.are.not. You're actually #42707. ;)

3:11 PM  
Blogger steve said...

STILL boycotting!

lol!

I kill me...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Hey, there's really nothing wrong with being Bachelor #1. Or 2 or 3 or 4. Because isn't it better than having an unflattering nickname applied to you? Like "Booger Boy" or "Mr. Cat-tastic"? I think it is.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Mr. Cat-tastic? WHAT?!?! That's an out-standing nickname! I need to start calling someone that! Now it's just a matter of finding my victim...

11:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Stephanie - WHMS was on tv last night and I had to catch the end just for you. The party did look fantastic.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home