Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Getting Back to the Hippie Roots

I've been experiencing a good amount of nostalgia lately ever since I made the "big purchase": my new guitar. (I haven't given "her" a name yet. Any and all of your suggestions are welcome.) For example, I decided to take this past labor day weekend as a time to relax, reflect, and relax. (Did I already say relax?) So I packed up all of my belongings including my nameless guitar and trudged out to my parent's house. They live in a nice rural subdivision; it's peaceful, quiet, and there is just a swarm of the world's cutest children to play with during the day. (I'll have to tell you sometime about my parent's little neighbor boys. They are just PRECIOUS.)

As I was growing up, my parents used to always tell me that I was born in the wrong era. I should have been a flower child. Now, mind you, I don't run around in corduroys, and flip-flops with dreadlocks in my hair, although back in high school and college I teetered (I had a few interesting experiments with some wild red hair dye, and also got the nose and the tongue pierced- the tongue piercing lasted for five years. The nose thing was more just a short-lived passing kind of phase.) But deep down inside, I've always been a little bit of a hippie at heart. In high school, my friend Chelsea used to be my "guitar teacher", and we would sit and jam for hours together. I was never deemed good enough, however, for us to take our dueling guitar show live, but you better better believe that we had our goofy little butts up on stage for high school talent shows in our tie-dyed tanks and bare feet: with me belting out my best Jewel rendition while Chelsea backed me up on guitar. Those were the days, let me tell you. I would sit in my room for hours and twang away, knowing that I had a little less than a care in the world besides diligently learning how to play the guitar.

So now, as I snap you back into the year 2005, I'm sitting on my parents' living room floor, half strumming an old tune I used to know, and half marveling at my new very-well-worth-it purchase, my dad looks at me and says plainly, "you know you were born in the wrong era, don't you? You're such a hippie. Now that you have your guitar, all you need is a couple of tie-dyed t-shirts and one of those "Scooby-Doo" vans and you can like, road trip man, just you and your guitar... man." (*sigh* Dads...) I certainly wouldn't go that far, but there is definitely a peace I get when I pick up my new pretty guitar, (fill in name here). There's just something about it. So no, I won't be asking Scooby if I can borrow his van any time soon, but I am holding out for the tour bus. It's okay. I can wait.

9 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

you almost HAVE to name it "Velma" now...

10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown Soldier said...

Hi!

I guess Lucille is a good name. But would BB King sue you?

By the way, tu español es muy bueno ¿dónde lo aprendiste?

Saludos desde Mexico

12:06 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Point 1: I am so glad that you had "dreadlocks" on the hippie-qualification list -- I am a frequent wearer of cordouroy pants and flip flops... whew! that was a close one

Point 2: Your dad is so funny thinking that you loving the guitar and the occassional ballad makes you a hippie. Now, if you start smoking pot, popping acid, STOP showering and change your name to Buttercup... then he should worry

Point 3: A name for your guitar. I think it needs a guy's name -- it will give you a feeling of power :) But it has to be something common like, Kevin. For some reason that sounds so funny in my head.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Steve: Hi-larious. Just great.

Unknown: Yo aprendi en la escuela secundaria, y un poquito en Mexico. Yo fui tres veses, uno tiempo para diez dias, y lo amo!

U.C.: I certainly meant no offense with corduroy comment: I adore flippies myself, but if you combine the two, some dreads and a tie-dyed tank top, you're heading into hippie-ville! And the not showering thing: totally not an option. I'm too much of a girlie-girl for all that!

Thomas: Do I sense some sarcasm there? ;)

2:45 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Hablo espanol y toco la guitarra. Toque la guitarra en un restaurante mejicano por ocho anos de mi vida. Muchas historias a decir de eso. Los cocineros me llamaron "cuchara"

3:21 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Steve, what does that last word mean, exactly? I forget. But if I memory serves even a little bit, I'm thinking that that's a naughty word? hmm? By the way, how does one land a guitar gig at a Mexican restaurant being so blatantly NOT Mexican?

3:32 PM  
Blogger steve said...

The last word means "Spoon".. they called me spoon. Dont ask.

I guess you just gotta have flavah...

It was a party restaurant. I played mexican tunes along with anything else i wanted and I also wrote comedy songs...

4:44 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

So was this a solo venture? Or was Johnny Las Vegas and the leather pants in on the action as well?

8:26 AM  
Blogger steve said...

I had yet to meet Johnny Las Vegas...

The leather pants? well, thats another story...

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home