Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hurricane Katrina... What Can We Do?

Update: After watching the news tonight, I felt a tug on my heart to keep pushing for the victims of hurricane Katrina in my own little way. All politics aside, there are people that need help. Period. And if the government isn't doing as much as they can, then that means that we just need to ban together and do more. Enough with talk about rasicm, because it doesn't matter who's hurting or in trouble. They all need help. So please. PLEASE consider a donation to the AMERICAN RED CROSS. Every little bit will surely help.


When 9/11 took place, I ran right out and started a clothing and medical supply drive at the university that I was attending at the time, in hopes that I could do my part and make a difference. Unfortunately, during times of national crisis, it's difficult to get bulky stuff like food and clothing shipped cross-country and distributed according to greatest need. That was a hard pill to swallow, considering all the hard work and heart that I had put into this drive. So, unfortunately, I could only donate everything to the local chapter of the Salvation Army. Which is still great, but during times of crisis, I want my donation to get to the heart of the disaster. I want it to go toward touching the lives of those affected the most, who are in dire need of help.

This time, the disaster strikes a little closer to home. A very dear friend of mine is a volunteer for the Southeast Wisconsin Chapter of the American Red Cross, and was sent down to Louisiana for an indefinite amount of time to assist in search and rescue, as well as general relief efforts and clean up. The American Red Cross has been all over local and national news regarding it's involvement in rescue and relief efforts since Katrina hit. Volunteers are being sent from all over the country to provide assistance in all areas of need. Unfortunately, (as much as I would love to) I can't take as active and heroic a part in helping to provide relief for the countless homeless and hungry victims of this tradgedy, but I am doing my part from afar.

So, I am taking it upon myself to call each and every one of you out there in blogland to action as well. Please consider a financial donation to the American Red Cross. They are in desperate need of any and all monetary donations. To help, you can click on the link above, or call 1-800-HELP NOW to make a donation by phone. This is truly a disaster of catastrophic proportions, so please, open your hearts and do what you can to help save lives, provide medical care for the sick, and shelter for those who have nothing left.

For pictures of the aftermath of Katrina, stats, and info on other charities, please visit Support and Help for Hurricane Katrina Aftermath.

I thank those of you who took me up on my invitation and visited my site, and I also thank you for taking the time to read this. I truly hope you will consider helping to make a difference in the wake of this tradgedy... your donation will help to save and change lives.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Thomas, you're really sweet; and thanks for linking me up yesterday :)

8:38 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Morning! :) (I just noticed that I'm excessive with my smiley face usage.)

8:54 AM  
Blogger steve said...

thanks for coming by my site Steph. This has been on my heart also... So much

Prayers. Lots of prayers!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown Soldier said...

To Stephanie and all US people:

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. In Mexico we know what a hurricane is (they hit our country 4-5 times a year, even worst hurriacanes than Katrina).
Maybe you don't know it, but our army,in behalf of the people of Mexico, sent some food, drinking water and a couple of choppers to New Orleans and because we are closer to the disaster area than the biggest cities of USA (we even are closer than you in Wisconsin), that little help arrived quickly and now is already in the victim's hands.

As neighbors, we feel the same than you and we are with you.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home