Monday, January 23, 2006

I Did It!

Well, I finished the first phase of recording my wedding demo last night! I know that to some of you (*cough!*SteveSporre*cough!*), this is really no big deal, because you've recorded a thousand times yourselves ;) , but for me: this is a brand new experience: and it was actually pretty fun! It was interesting because I have never done this before, so it was very strange hearing my voice played back to myself: what a strange experience! At first, it was really no fun hearing myself, because what I hear in my head when I sing versus what everyone else hears are two very different sounds. So I had to grow accustomed to what I actually sound like versus what I think I sound like. Make sense? So, once I got over that hump, then it was a matter of tweaking my voice here, and altering it there to make sure I was getting the optimum tone quality out of my voice when I was recording. It's a really interesting process. Anyway, we finished two songs (so now he just needs to mix them: something I definitely won't have any part in, because I don't know how!), and once they're finished my recording friend will send them to me via email, and I'll make sure to post them for y'all. In about a week or so, we'll finish the last three, and then my demo will be done; which means that I'll have a finished product to hand out to people so I can start getting booked for weddings! How fun!

So, that was my weekend: well, that and..... I went to go see "The Chronicles of Narnia" on Saturday. How amazing was THAT movie?!?! I just LOVED it! So, in case any of your are just killing yourselves trying to figure out what to get me for my birthday in seven months: keep this movie in the back of your minds! (I told my mother this the other night while we were out shopping at TARGET after seeing the movie, and she just laughed at me too: I guess it's a funny thing that I'm spouting off birthday requests seven months early? Doesn't everyone do that?!)

Well that's all the exciting things that I have to report for the day: I've hit a road block in terms of writing. I guess I really don't have much in the way of deep or inspirational thoughts to share, but I feel something brewing deep down in the recesses of my mind. It might take me a few days though: so in the meantime, why don't you all tell me how your weekend was?

16 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Way to go on your recording!! I'm very proud of you!

And thanks for the b-day present tip. Wouldn't it be funny if you got C of N videos from all over the blogosphere in the mail?

10:26 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok, sign me up for a CD as soon as you have them in hand.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Amstaff: Thanks! As far as the CofN vids go: that WOULD be funny! Well at least I would have backups for when I break them from watching them so much!

Katie: I don't know that you would want THIS cd. It's only a half of a song each: it's just really a marketing tool for me to get gigs. But I'll be HAPPY to get to you a cd once the band finishes one! We're supposed to get going on that in the next couple of weeks. ("supposed to" being the operative phrase ;).

OR, if I ever get around to writing and recording my own stuff: I'll make sure to get you a copy in the mail! :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Or, we could come listen to you live!! ;) :)

My weekend went quick, and it was sort of disheartening for me, but I guess they can't all be good.

I still haven't seen Chronicles, and I want to so bad! (I read the book).

Have a great week Steph!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh Shenna: you need to NEED TO see it! It's SO good!

Yeah, I would LOVE it if you came to see us perform sometime! We're supposed to do a gig in Green Bay sometime: maybe you could pop up there if that's closer to you? hmm?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you had kind of a bummer of a weekend! Well, I'll be praying for ya!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Stephanie: My kids and I saw Narnia and I wrote about it on my blog on December 19th. And we loved it!! It was their first movie theater experience.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok you can quit living my dream now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Good for you for getting a demo nailed down (can you tell I use to do this sort of thing because I'm drooling) I kind of miss it. Some day some day! For now I stick with the small stage.
Would love to hear your demo. Being a musician I always enjoy hearing new material!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Green: Read your post - cute! I bet your kids were just GLUED to the screen, weren't they?

Hula: hahaha don't get too jealous now! Like I said, it's just a wedding demo.. now if I were recording an actual album, well then, you might have something the be jealous about! ;)
So essentially, what you'll hear is "Grow Old With Me" by Mary Chapin Carpenter, or "Holy Ground". Not my finest moments, that's for sure. If I had my way, I'd be recording Martha Munizzi's "Glorious" or "Holy" by Nicole Nordeman. You know: the FUN stuff!

KrisT: Um YEAH! You MUST see that movie!

Would you be talking about "Love Comes Softly"?

And school on the weekend? What the crap is that about?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

stephanie: Oh yes, bigtime. My son was wide eyed the whole time. When I asked him if he was ok, he just said yes and never turned his head away from the screen. My daughter was almost as bad but not quite.

It was an experience I'll never forget, that's for sure.

2:11 PM  
Blogger steve said...

of course its a big deal to me Steph... jeeesh!

Hearing your own voice can be an odd experience. I would totally suggest that you DO become part of the mixing. It is a great way to learn all the ins and outs of recording.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Boris Yeltsin said...

My kids were a little freaked out, but they were also riveted to the screen. We saw it when it first came out. King Kong came out next, and none of my kids' friends saw Narnia, and their friends couldn't believe that my kids liked Narnia over King Kong till they saw Narnia themselves, and now they all agree that Narnia is the shizzle.

I know this is probably Brett Favre territory, but my weekend was awesome because the Steelers are going to the Superbowl.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

My first experience with hearing my voice on tape was when I was in grade school and my cousin's and I would record our own "radio shows" on to a small tape recorder. We'd be the announcers, the singers, the newscasters, the sports starts, etc... It was a blast. I think they still have some of those tapes. :)

4:33 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

I did a post on it too. Steve sent me a cool picture for it.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

My weekend was good.

;)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Logan: y'all might have to wait a bit longer: I'm not too impressed with the results now that I've had a chance to listen to it in the comfort (?) of my own office! I have to record three more... I might just wait and post those!

Ben: Do you realize that you're the first one to actually answer that question? lol! Hope you feel better!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

How amazingly wonderful for you! Congrats!!!!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home