Thursday, January 12, 2006

It's So Good To Be Home

Did you ever get to a place where deep down in your spirit, you've felt like you've come home? Or maybe that you've found home?

I had a boyfriend once tell me that I "felt like home to him". I really never quite understood what that meant until recently. It's a contented feeling. I feeling of peace, tranquility, joy, hope, and a connectedness with someone. In boyfriend's case, that someone was me.

In my case, that someone is Jesus Christ.

I know I've been "home" before: when I first started my journey with Him.


"Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me" (Psalm 51:12).


There's nothing, and I mean NOTHING like the joy of salvation. I was just giddy when I first became born again. It was like... walking on air. It actually was more like falling in love for the very first time. But better. So who wouldn't like God to restore unto him the sheer joy of his salvation?


So when He does draw you back to a place with Him, where it is almost as if you're walking through the door of your home that you haven't visited in ages, it's as if Jesus sits there in waiting to embrace you: YOU who has been off trapsing around in "Selfishville". It's almost magical. To know that no matter how far you stray, no matter how many problems you tried to face and tackle on your own without His help, that He still waits to embrace you, is such a powerful feeling. No matter where we go or what we do without Him, He still waits for us to crawl into His lap like a small child so He can calm our fears, wipe away our tears, and hold us tight to protect us from all the bullies of this world.

I'm definitely home for a visit. And God and I: well, we have quite a bit of catching up to do. I'd like to say that I'm here to stay, but I know I'll be making mistakes along the way. I'll run right out that door and try to take on my own Goliath without asking my Father for help, or I'll decide to go for a joy ride without asking Him to drive. I'm definitely not perfect, so I'll likely stray from my home again. But because I know how amazing it is to peacefully reside within the four walls of my home (my faith), and in the presence of my Father, I'm going to pray I don't stray too far.

Because there is absolutely nothing in this world that compares to being Home.


**********************************************

If you've been to Katie's site, then you have already seen this, and if you read the comments section of this post, you'll see it again. But I thought this would be just a wonderful way to end this post, so I'm going to share with you the lyrics to "Prodigal Son" by Shane Barnard that Katie shared with me.


"Prodigal Son"

what have i done to get me here?
unraveled and undone, i need my father
what have i done? i've followed my feet to nowhere
now i'm here! as i ran, i can run no more
prodigal me

the mountains to the west, i know they laugh at me
they know i'm scared to cross and leave this life i lead
oh my pride! i give you up a barter for my freedom
what will they think as i come stumbling down to join their lives?
i need to cross this mountain and find my way home
i seek no greater fortune, rescue me
oh unmerciful divide be merciful tonight
show me the other side
prodigal me

the mountains to the east, they've swallowed my beloved
this house completely incomplete, where is my mortar?
where did he go? he followed his feet to nowhere
please come home! you've done me no wrong

each evening i look down that road
i hope and i wait for you
and my servants they look down that road
we watch and we pray for youm
aster, master, who's that man stumbling down that road?
could it be the one? could it be? could it be?
master, master, it's Your son
coming home to join our lives!

i'm looking down this mountain, i see my way home
there is no greater fortune, i believe!
oh unmerciful divide you laugh at me no more
oh i've reached the other side!prodigal me
could i be the one? could i be? could i be?
Father, Father, we're Your sons
coming home to join Your life

we've finally crossed this mountain, and found our way home
there is no greater fortune than Jesus
oh how merciful is our God who gave His only Son!
oh we worship You tonight!

15 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

YES YES YES YES, oh that feeling, that peace, that warmth of being home, back in His arms, back in His will, back in His presence (even though we never really leave it sometimes is sure does feel like it).

LOVE THIS. Love that you are at this place right now in your life. YIPEE, it just fills me with joy.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh my word, YES! You hit the nail right on top of the head! "even though we really never leave sometimes it sure does feel like it".

You know, it's not like I'm referring to backsliding. It's just me being a goober trying to go out there and face all my demons alone.

GOD WANTS TO HELP! Helloooo! But that feeling of peace, of being back in His Will: just KNOWING in your heart of hearts that He's RIGHT THERE. Nothing like it.

Katie, you are such an ecouragement to me! Thank you for being such a sweet, amazing friend, girl. :) And I'll be praying for your return home as well!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

awwww, *gulp*, you too on all those sweet things, and I love the trip back home, oh wait it reminds me of a song about the Prodigal Son, I'm off to find the lyrics, be right back

12:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm back. LOVE these lyrics. Love the moment when we see over the horizon and realize we are home again, and instead of anger or frustration God is waiting there with His arms open wide to welcome us HOME

what have i done to get me here?
unraveled and undone, i need my father
what have i done? i've followed my feet to nowhere
now i'm here! as i ran, i can run no more
prodigal me

the mountains to the west, i know they laugh at me
they know i'm scared to cross and leave this life i lead
oh my pride! i give you up a barter for my freedom
what will they think as i come stumbling down to join their lives?

i need to cross this mountain and find my way home
i seek no greater fortune, rescue me
oh unmerciful divide be merciful tonight
show me the other side
prodigal me

the mountains to the east, they¹ve swallowed my beloved
this house completely incomplete, where is my mortar?
where did he go? he followed his feet to nowhere
please come home! you¹ve done me no wrong
each evening i look down that road
i hope and i wait for you
and my servants they look down that road
we watch and we pray for you
master, master, who's that man stumbling down that road?
could it be the one? could it be? could it be?
master, master, it's Your son
coming home to join our lives!

i'm looking down this mountain, i see my way home
there is no greater fortune, i believe!
oh unmerciful divide you laugh at me no more
oh i've reached the other side!
prodigal me

could i be the one? could i be? could i be?
Father, Father, we're Your sons
coming home to join Your life

we've finally crossed this mountain, and found our way home
there is no greater fortune than Jesus
oh how merciful is our God who gave His only Son!
oh we worship You tonight!


ok now I'm tearing up for real

12:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

WOW me too! WHO is that by?

I NEED to go get that song!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hahahaha nevermind. I just went to your blog. Shane Bernard. I should have known.

Now you HAVE to marry him. That man can WRITE!!!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I've never heard that song K-T, but it's beautiful. I think I've always focused on the waywardness of the son and not as much on the desperate love of the father.

I love reading your testimony Steph. I became a Christian at 5, and although I remember it clearly, it's not the same transformation as that of yours.

Amazing love, how can it be. That You my King should die for me. Amazing love, I know it's true.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about. With me, it started Sunday with a message about forgiveness. It is like coming home.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Amstaff: I love telling my testimony! It shakes up my spirit to bring for the memory of the incredible joy and peace I experienced way back when.

Everyone's "transformations" are different: your is different from mine is different from Steve's... And God uses that variety to speak to the masses: because not everyone is going to relate to the same story. People's testimonies need to be bold, gentle, rough, desperate, peaceful, explosive: whatever it is that needs to be heard... God will make sure it's available. How cool is that?

Crystal: It started this Sunday for me too - our pastor's wife (my mentor) preached this Sunday about prayer. I was knocked on my hiney. It was great!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

and think that all our testimonies are different because we are each different, God created us each in His own way, with different looks and different hearts, and He comes to us individually in the special and specific way that our heart needs to hear from Him, and all this because He loves us so much to approach us individually. That AMAZES me about our God. He isn't "universal" in that sense, He is personal, tender, and speaks to us in a voice for each of us to hear, with a love that is only for me. He knows our names, our hearts, and He ministers directly to those. Our God is not one of mass conversions, but of individuals coming to Him on personal paths that He lays out for our feet. Ok, I'm rambling again. Sorry.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

"Ramble" away, my friend.

I concur 100%

3:20 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Its a Shane Barnard day...

I recorded a song of his last night that spoke to my heart and posted it today...

funny how that works

3:36 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

your commentary struck a chord with me and reminded me of when i first became a believer. i had so many questions! and i was so excited to finally be "home!" i love your reminder to me of that.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Funny you mention it Steph, I've really been feeling at home lately too! There's nothing like it.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Jes: Sometimes it isn't until I get it all down on paper that I can truly sit back and reflect on the amazing work God is doing in my life. This is a reminder for me just as much as it may be for anyone else. There's nothing quite like it, is there?

Shenna: I KNOW you have been! hahaha God is just pouring out of you these days! I love it! What an encouragement!

God bless you gals!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home