Wednesday, January 18, 2006

By Popular Demand...

Okay, one person (Shenna) requested this, but because my readership is low these days, one request is "popular demand". lol As I was writing "You know you've ticked off Stephanie when...", I figured that people might think me a little on the grumpy side considering the intense detail that I went into regarding the things that irritate me.

So to you, my disenchanted readers I say this: everyone, even the sweetest of Christians, deserve to air out thier grievances once in awhile. However, because I am a generally happy person, and because I aim to please my loyal readers, today I give you:


The Top Ten Things That Make Me Smile

(also in no particular order)

*A long long time ago when I first started this blog, I wrote a similar list. I have decided to write another one without referring back to the old one. However, if you're interested in reading the old one, click
here.*

1. Sunshine. There's nothing like a sunny day. The temperature could be cold, hot, or lukewarm: doesn't really matter to me so long as the sun is out. I'm very affected by my surroundings, so a sunny day just always has a way of brightening my mood.

2. A good cup of coffee. Call me an addict, call me what you will, but I love coffee. Love it love it love it. Throw some flavored International Coffee Creamer in there, and I am in seventh heaven.

3. A good, deep conversation.

4. Good music. And right along with that in the same catergory, I'm going to say a good musician and a good singer. Something inside of me just bursts with joy when I hear good music: when an amazing singing voice pierces the silence: when a talented instrumentalist steals the show. I literally have a physical reaction to music: my whole body and soul reacts to an awesome compilation of sound - no matter what style or genre it is. If it's good, it's good: and I love it.

5. Singing. Along with the previous idea, I love to sing. There's something magical about getting up there and letting go: about giving glory to God by using the gift He gave me to minister to others. There's just something about being right there in the moment crying out to God in front of hundreds of spectators, leading them to do the same: being so raw, so real, and so transparent: giving Him all the glory.

6. The outdoors. I could play outside all day and night and never get sick of it. I love the fresh air, the smell of life in the trees, grass, and earth. I love the sound of the water laping up against the shore, and the breeze rustling through the trees. I love admiring and enjoying God's creation. Good stuff.

7. Long drives. I was just talking with someone about this last night: I really enjoy road trips alone. It gives me a chance to think, to be with God for a really long time: talking with Him and worshiping Him. ... And then there's my (likely not so secret) secret indulgence: windows down, music blaring, and me singing on the tops of my lungs for miles and miles and miles.

8. Travel. I thoroughly enjoy visiting new places, exploring different cultures, and taking in new sights and sounds. I love the visual stimulation of a majestic mountain range, or peering over the edge of a cliff into the depths of a canyon: enjoying the sights and sounds of the Pacific coast. There's so much out there to be seen and experienced: and I enjoy getting out there and discovering it all.

9. My family. They're quirky, but they still put a smile on my face.

10. Good friends that I can depend on. I really enjoy fellowshipping with other Christians. It's a great feeling being in the presence of other believers, and just enjoying one another's company: but even more than that, knowing that my friends are striving for Christ-likeness as well, and therefore are a source of support and encouragement for me really comforts my spirit. I love my friends.

13 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

"just talking with someone about this last night" . . . . . me too, how random

10:20 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Get out of town! How funny!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Mmmm, coffee, though give me a shot of espresso with some sambuca in it or a fine belgian ale. Good stuff

10:58 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

KrisT: Yeah, I wish my drive to and from church were longer for that same reason. But yes, in total agreement with you. Driving time is a good time to reflect.

I've done the whole "hop in the car thing". Wish I did it more: I'm just such a spaz about wasting gas. lol I drive too much the way it is!

Rev: blech!!! Sambuca?! To each his own, I guess. hahahaha

11:05 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Steph-

I had a hunch this would be your post today! Guess I'm really starting to know you, huh?

A lot, in fact most of the things that make you smile would be at the top of my list also.

Love it!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I'm with ya -- on all of those. Especially the music ones, though... there's nothing better than good music...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Shenna: Uh oh! I'm becomming predictable! We can't have that! I might have to post tomorrow about "nuclear magnetic resonance" or "Polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism": you know... just to mix things up a bit. ;)

Amber: Totally in agreement with you: 100%

1:20 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

We could have the same top ten except for the long rides... no thanks... BUt the rest... BIG SMILES!....

4:19 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

That's a great list. Long rides to think are good occasionally, but I'd rather take a long ride with my special someone. That way we can take the opportunity to get into good, deep conversation.

I can get into listening to music, and I'm okay with most of it. However, not having the talent to sing or play an instrument, I can appreciate those who do...

6:10 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

What a great list... I can honestly say I agree with EVERY SINGLE ONE!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I like them all, too!

:-)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'd move the travel one up a few notches, but you have a great list!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mark D said...

Steph, my jaw hit the floor on these. Big fat dittos on all except #9. I have decent relationships with those in my family but because they are in such poor health it ends up being a downer when I visit. Sunshine does incredible things for me. I even have the "daylight" bulbs in my house...but it just isn't the same as the real thing. Coffee...where do I start? I have roasted my own beans before (uh, that sounded bad, didn't it). I used a hot-air popcorn popper. Loved your coffee maker story. Music and singing feed me. As you may know from my blog posts, the outdoors and "all things crittery" put a big smile on my face. Long drives are great...and an occasional bus ride so you can journal or write songs. And of course travel and good friends...love to dive in there but this is already getting long. Awesome list!!!!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home