Monday, January 30, 2006

L'Ormindo

I'm not so sure that I have declared to you all what I intend to major in now that I have made my decision. Well, I'm leaning toward vocal performance: but whatever I wind up doing will be most definitely music related. The following story has to do with my scouting out music programs, so I just wanted to clarify before I majorly confused you all.

...And now, on to the story!

**********************************************

On Friday night I had the priveledge of doing something I have NEVER done before: I went to the opera. I didn't quite get to enjoy a "professional opera", as I went to a local university here in town with my music teacher to scope out the music program there. In the midst of all of our "scoping", we were wildly entertained by thier adaptation of "L'Ormindo".

I truly never thought that an opera would engage me in the least bit, just considering where my passion lies (gospel), but surprisingly, it did! (I do, however, enjoy the theatre immensly, so I suppose this should come as no surprise. But opera? Well... let's just say it's a lot more exciting than I would have thought.) The story line was very cute (very not Christian, but cute no less): it's set back in the 17th century, and the queen is...well... three timing her husband with two of his "guards" who happen to be best friends with one another. So, once they find out that they are both dating the same woman, they both begin to court her, and she entertains both of thier advances, until they come face to face with her and she is forced to make a decision. She chooses Ormindo (hence the name of the opera), and the king finds out. So he orders the head guard to poison them (Ormindo and the queen), the consequence for decieving him. Shortly thereafter, the king recieves a letter stating that he is Ormindo's father: so now he is remorseful and distraught for having killed his own flesh and blood. As it turns out, he didn't really kill them, because the guard who was ordered to give them the poison, was a friend of Ormindo's and didn't have the heart to do it: so he disobeyed the king and gave Ormindo and the queen sleep syrum - with the intent of transporting thier "bodies" and setting them free in a distant land. The king finds THIS out, praises the guard for disobeying him, gives his blessing to his son and his wife to be married, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Yeah. That's opera. Hahahahaha Well, the confusing story line aside, the acting was great, it was actually very funny, but the vocals were... well... okay. There were two people that just blew me away (And I of course made sure I knew who they were studying with). Overall, I would say that I definitely enjoyed myself, but I will be checking out other schools yet... and my voice teacher and I plan on seeing a professional opera so I can hear what true opera sounds like. From what I hear, the voices are "like butta'". I can't wait.

Afterward, we headed to Pizza Man afterward for appetizers (the name is decieving: it's actually a really nice place on the "fashionable lower east side" by campus, with amazing food), and we discussed in detail what we experienced that night. My voice teacher, we'll call her Becky, sang opera professionally for many years, as well as auditioned for the MET (Metropolitan Opera), a number of times. She's VERY talented: so it was a lot of fun picking her brain regarding what she thought of everything. I'm actually surprised that most of our opinions were right in line with each other, considering I know nothing about opera: however, I do know quite a bit about singing: and a voice is a voice I guess. Either you can sing, or you can't: no matter what genre of music we're talking about.

Well, after this experience, I'm looking forward to scouting out other schools, hitting the professional opera circuit, and venturing into a new little slice of life that I've never considered exploring before.

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

exciting to see what new opportunities and changes are ahead for you

10:37 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie: Thanks girl! The same back at ya! It'll be interesting to look back in 8 months, won't it!

KrisT: hahahaha No, Ormindo came from a "previous relationship". Confusing, isn't it? lol

11:25 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You forgot the "happily ever after" part. Although, it sounds like they were the original ones to put "fun" in dysfunctional.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Am Mom: No, I did include the "happily ever after" part. hahahaha How can't you after a story like that?!

And you're absolutely right in your "fun in dysfunctional" comment: I couldn't believe what I was watching at some points. lol It was... an odd story to say the least. And let's not even get INTO the fact that in one scene, the queens maidservant had a little "fun" with three boxer-clad manservants (this, of course, was for comic relief, and was funny - in a sense. In another sense, it kinda made me squirm a bit.) I guess you just have to take it for what it is: QUIRKY. lol

11:37 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I always said I hated opera... that is before I finally went to see one. I was surprised that it wasn't too bad at all.

Good luck with your music endeavors. I admire people who can really sing!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

You'll never catch me criticising a singer, no matter what style they perform.

I can't even lift a note, let alone hold one. But I'm ok with that.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I am glad you enjoyed it, you should check out the work of Avro Part.

8:39 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Whoa whoa whoa, the king gave his blessing for HIS queen to be married to his son?

Was the queen Ormindo's mom?

Even if she wasn't, she was Ormindo's step mom, right?

Ewwwww

8:52 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I trained to sing opera but never could; I get stage fright when I sing, but not when I act(?) It was never worth trying to overcome, because I was going to college for a different degree anyway.

I still love all types of music, and opera is one of them.

There's a modern tenor who is AMAZINGLY talented and wickedly handsome. Check out Mario Frangoulis' site where you can also sample his music. YUM.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Mark D said...

So excited for you!! My first two years of being a music major were generic...meaning I had not chosen whether to focus on performance, education, or management. I have sung at opera workshops, master classes, etc and I enjoyed every minute of it. At the end of every semester you will have to sing at "juries" for your sememster grade. One time I was singing a German song called Habe Dank and forgot the words in the middle of the song. Me, being the improvisational genius that I am ;), decided to keep going and "made up" German words without missing a beat. Unfortunately, the song was too well known...but the judges got a good laugh out of it.

What song do you think you will audition with? One of my friends auditioned with The Lord's Prayer. Another, who sang in a Christian metal band at the time, sang The Battle Hymn of the Republic. The only problem is that he sang it...well...like Stryper did (in the classic "metal" voice). We still get a laugh out of that. Anyway, I am excited for you! Keep us posted!

P.S. Sorry I am late posting again.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home