Thursday, February 02, 2006

It All Started When...

I recieved a mysterious phone call at work early Tuesday afternoon. The person on the other line did not have good news for me: and they weren't very nice about it either.

They told me that I was about to lose my job.


And then they hung up.


I sat for a moment in complete bewilderment, unsure as to how I should process this information. After all, it's not everyday you are forewarned of something like this. Was this person serious? Or was someone just playing a horribly mean practical joke? I was hoping for the latter, but didn't quite feel I would be so lucky.

I marched into my supervisor's office to share with her the disturbing news that I just recieved, and I could almost see the blood drain from her face.

"I... uhmmm... I'm going to call the owner. That's ummmm... really... uhhh.... really wierd."


Yeah. Real wierd.


I knew right then and there that something fishy was going on, especially when I found out that the boss man was coming in right away. He's never there during the day.

I should have started packing my stuff right then and there. But in a desperate attempt at salvaging my job (and my dignity), I kept on trucking. I worked until the very last second. Well, suffice it to say, that didn't help me very much, because at 3pm I was packing a plastic bag of what little of my personal items that I actually kept at my office.

Yes friends: I lost my job.

I wasn't expecting it - AT ALL. Just two weeks ago, the owner and I discussed my raise. He said there were a couple of things that needed some tweaking but that overall, I was exactly where I should be in terms of my progress: and that we could revisit the raise in a month - or in two weeks if things were going well. Even at that point, the "things" that needed tweaking were vague. I did my best from that point on to make sense of it and "correct" what I thought might be the problem.

But apparently the owner had other plans. From that point on, he had been looking for someone to replace me.

In the end, he gave me not one good reason as to why he was letting me go other than, "you weren't quite meshing with the manufacturing end of things".

Whatever that means.

He said that I ran a really tight ship in the administrative side of things, but that I wasn't quite "getting" manufacturing.

Hmmm.

Does this add up for any of you?

Yeah, me neither.


So, I took my plastic bag filled with all my things, and gracefully began "The Walk of Shame" out the door.

********************************

I got into my car, quickly started the engine, and it took everything in me to keep from peeling out of the parking lot at four hundred miles per hour.

I grabbed my phone, and dialed the only person in the world I would have trusted to handle me in my delicate state of mind at that very moment.

My wonderful friend Katie.

"Hey girl, is everything okay?"

As you can imagine, I turned into a blubbering mess within 2.5 seconds. I told her what had just happened, and as I suspected, she did a marvelous job at calming my fears. She reminded me of God's plan for my life. She reminded me that no matter how awful I may feel the situation is, or how grim the potential outcome, GOD is the one in control here. HE has a plan for my life.

"Oh my goodness Katie you are totally right!"

And that's when it hit me: I had been praying for a new job situation that would be flexible around my school schedule come fall of this year. The program that I will be enrolling in is not a night/weekend type of program. I need my days: and a fourty hour-a-week day job just wouldn't cut it. So I had been hoping to possibly be cleaning houses and working at Starbucks by fall so as to have the majority of my daytime free to work on my bachelors degree.

Okay God, aren't You a little early here? It's only FEBRUARY!

"GOD is in control. HE has a plan for my life".

After I got off the phone with Katie, I called my friend J. who cleans houses part-time to supplement her income as a massage therapist. I got her voicemail:

"J.... it's Stephanie. I need a favor."

**************************************

...TO BE CONTINUED.

I'm off to visit a friend of mine this weekend from college who's now living in Minnesota. It's her birthday and we are going to have lots of birthday fun! Road trip baby!

In the meantime, you all have a WONDERFUL weekend, and if I don't get to blog with you before then... see you Monday!





12 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'm sorry about your job Steph. So glad that K-T was there to be an encouragement to you. She's a great friend like that.

Will be praying for you in the upcoming months.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

Glad you had someone to call who gave you really good advice! I hope you get that wonderful, flexible job you've been praying for! Have a fun and safe road trip!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

oh sweet girl, you already knew everything I said, I was just a different voice to reconfirm the truth and peace that God was already working in your heart. YOU amaze me with your strength and your assurance of that God is indeed in control. I love that in the same situation I know I could call you and get the same encouragement and support. HAVE fun this weekend.

9:11 AM  
Blogger amelia said...

Wow! When you started talking about the mysterious phone call I got a little creeped out. I think I've been reading too much fiction lately. I've been where you are at with your job. From experience, I say - hang on because I'm sure God is getting ready to show you more of Him! Have a FUN weekend!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mark D said...

Right there with ya, Steph. It has been 2 1/2 weeks since I lost my job. I suspected it was coming (as did many others who got laid off with me), but it still is very surreal when they actually tell you. I can see God's hand in it, so in that way it is nice, but when I send out resumes and the phone is silent, it gets difficult. The steps of the righteous are ordered of the Lord - I just keep feeding on that and doing my part of (trusting God and contacting potential employers). Enjoy your road trip!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Through it all you seem to be very positive. I have a feeling the outcome is wonderful? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Have a fun road trip!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Stephanie:

So sorry to hear about your job! That really stinks. But, as Katie said, God has the plan for you and it will all work out for the best in the end, even though you may not see the solution now.

I've been in a few similar situations before in my life and they're never fun.

Have fun on your road trip and be safe!!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

You didn't tell me that little tid bit of information.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Steph! Are you kidding me?? I was thinking... this is just a story... I am sure she gets her job back and then... bam. No job.
But of course Katie comes through yet once again.

I will pray that God gives you a really cool job. REALLY cool job.

Keep your chin up!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh Stephanie!... I am praying for you girl... I was fired once too. It is an icky feeling... BUT Like Katie said (she is awesome isn't she) GOD knows where he wants you. I will be praying that he will show exactly where he wants you to be! HUGS and more HUGS to you!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Oh how I love the promise of Romans 8:28-29

4:37 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He SHALL direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home